We the People: Towards a New Definition
An Audience Piece by Perry Vásquez
We the People was a social practice piece commissioned for the Ship in the Woods Music and Art Festival June 16 and 17, 2018. This project was designed to combat my ignorance of the US Constitution. My goal was to engage my fellow citizens in meaningful conversation around the ever changing definition of just who We the people are. Audience members were given a blank postcard and the following instructions:
- Consider the proposition, “We the People are...”
- Write your response on a postcard.
- Hang the postcard on the clothesline.
- Take a badge to indicate your participation.
- Wear it on your clothing.